eastkent eastkent

Ensuring homeworkers are insured: What’s considered as ‘business use’?

Figures by the Trade Union Congress (TUC) show that the number of people in the UK who regularly work from home is around 4.2 million. In 2005, the figure stood at 3.4 million. Today, the proportion of the workforce working from home offices is 13.7%.

Due to increasingly advanced telecommuting technology, alongside changing attitudes among employers about the productivity-enhancing benefits of remote working, it was forecast that by 2020, 50% of the UK workforce will work from home.

Out of the millions of home workers, many might not be aware that their home insurance may be invalidated due to the fact their home is being used for business purposes. Most standard cover does not include things typically associated with ‘business use.’

Specialist items

A standard home insurance policy covers many items and furniture in the home against loss, theft and damage. Some may automatically include home office furniture in the cover.

However, specialist and more expensive items, such as audio-visual equipment, printers or photocopiers, which are used specifically for work purposes, may not be included in a conventional home contents policy.

Public liability insurance

Whether a home worker requires public liability insurance depends on the type of work they carry out at their home premises.

If the nature of the business requires customers or clients to visit the property, for example a hairdresser or nail technician, public liability, while not compulsory, will cover the home worker from loss or damage resulting from claims made by individuals visiting the home in connection with their business.

Scroll to top

Subscribe to our newsletter

To stay up to date with our news and information, please enter your email address. For more information please see our Privacy Policy.